Relaxing beeswax tealight candle bathroom decor

Did You Need Another Reason to Ditch Soy Wax Candles?

another reason to ditch soy candlesIncreasingly people are developing allergies to soy. I was talking to someone recently and she knew her daughter was allergic to something. She tried the process of elimination to figure out what it was.  When soy came up on the list and was removed from their diet all was fine. It really changed the way she cooked, you don’t always think of the way soy enters your diet through sauces, salad dressings etc. (no more soy sauce).

The magazine Allergic Living believes that burning soy wax candles could be a problem for soy sensitive individuals, even if it is just a nervousness of breathing air filled with soy fumes.  They suggest that you ditch the soy wax candles, particularly if you are expecting lots of visitors at a time like the holidays because you don’t always know who might be sensitive to soy. Allergic Living recommends you use beeswax candles instead. The two colored votives in the photo are soy wax. The two in the middle, the color of golden beeswax are of course just that - beeswax. Which ones do you think have the nicer flame and will give the best light?

The Allergic Living Magazine article somewhat supports this article Will Soy Candles Affect my Soy Allergies? This article says you must ingest soy for it to trigger an allergic attack and burning soy candles will do you no harm!  At the end of the article it has a suggested website to buy soy candles. I see the author is co-owner of that soy candle company. Hmm. What do you think? If you or someone in your family has a soy allergy are you going to burn soy wax candles when there are alternatives? Why risk it? Light up a natural pure beeswax candle. Unlike any other candle they are not altered in any way except through a harmless filtration system. They are not hydrogenated and they have no hardeners added. Beeswax does not spoil or go rancid either. Why do you think they put so much synthetic scent in soy wax candles? It’s because they smell badly after a while because they go rancid! It may even be the artificial fragrance in the candles that poses the most danger of setting off an allergy! Really now – why would you burn soy wax candles?

Suggested reading about the differences between soy wax and beeswax candles and some of the implications of Genetically Modified soy and its uses: 

What About Soy?

Published By Pat Cattermole

1 comment

I have a soy allergy and a soy candle will cause my lungs to burn and my skin turns red then I swell up. It is the same for latex. I can be near balloons or someone wearing latex gloves and react. I have an immunologist/allergists MD that I have been seeing for 11 years. I don’t think he would agree with the article.


Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.

Back to Beeswax Blog