The basic kit should include:
- Warm blanket
- Candle in a deep can with matches
- Spare clothing and shoes
- First aid kit (add a seatbelt cutter if it’s not included)
- Flashlight (Replace batteries once a year or buy one with a crank)
- Food that won't spoil or be ruined by freezing (such as energy bars)
- Important contact numbers
- Radio (Replace batteries once a year or buy one with a crank)
- Small shovel, scraper and snowbrush
- Warning lights or road flares
- Drinking water
The second item on the list is a candle in a deep can with matches. Honey Candles® beeswax Emergency Candle fills this requirement perfectly. It is made of 8 oz of pure non-toxic beeswax. The tin has a lid that holds a pack of matches and a set of straps together as part of the emergency candle package. The straps can be used to place on the tin to heat food or water. We consulted with a search and rescue member as to the ideal size for our emergency candle and he recommended that we develop a candle that would burn 24 hours. We followed his advice. It provides more heat and light than a traditional paraffin candle of the same size because beeswax burns 3 to 4 times hotter than paraffin and it burns longer naturally without any additives.
Don’t wait until you need a vehicle emergency kit to put one together. Some of these items you can probably gather from what you already have in your home. If you would like a Honey Candles® Beeswax Emergency Candle you can find them at our on-line store. They are also perfect gifts for those you love who are drivers.
Honey Candles® Beeswax Emergency Candles are made in Canada from 100% pure Canadian beeswax. A true product of Canada!