I am not going to re-invent the wheel . These tips on determining the best beeswax candles are taken directly from our 2008 Honey Candles catalog on page 3. We ask you to compare our beeswax candles to other beeswax candles. If you have more than one brand of beeswax candles to choose from take these points into consideration before you purchase. Use your senses…sight…smell and touch. Top quality beeswax candles have the following characteristics:
- The color of the beeswax is a rich yellow-amber. There is a richness and intensity to the color not found in lower grade beeswax. Poor quality beeswax can have a dirty or muddy appearance, and often has a strong green or gray-green cast that reminds you of putty.
- Premium quality beeswax looks pure with no visible particles of dirt or other impurities. There is a depth to the finish of the candle with no flakes, cracks, dark wax or white spots visible as you look beyond the surface of the candle. Please note if you see what appears to be darker wax under clean beeswax suspect that the candle is overdipped or overdripped. This means that dark or dirty beeswax has been dipped over or had clean beeswax dripped over it. This feels like a deceptive practice and something we would never do. Don’t buy candles that this has been done to.
- Pick up the beeswax candle. The beeswax is pleasant to touch. It is smooth and rich. Some candles feel hard like plastic which may indicate that a hardener has been added.
- Be sure to smell the beeswax candles. Premium quality beeswax has a gentle natural aroma of honey unless scent has been added to it. Honey Candles has a line called Essentials which has pure essential oils added.
- Look for solid hand-poured beeswax candles, not rolled honeycomb.
- Be sure there are no holes or cavities in the beeswax candles you are considering. Hint: Check under labels at the bottoms of candles.
- Ensure the wicks are top quality 100% cotton or cotton with a paper twist. Good quality beeswax candles would not have lead or zinc in the wick.
There you have it. All the right things to look for to make sure you have the best beeswax candle available to you. I hope when you are looking you have beeswax Honey Candles® as part of your comparison test. I think you will be impressed at the quality of Honey Candles® that you can see, smell and feel!
Photo by Marlie Marchewka