One of the most popular candle waxes is Paraffin - it is also one of the most harmful and toxic waxes to use. Paraffin is made from petroleum and paraffin candles can cause allergies and asthma for those with sensitivities. A study by The American Chemical Association concluded burning candles made from paraffin is an unrecognized source of exposure to indoor air pollution. Paraffin contains the following chemicals: acrolein, benzene, ethanol, formaldehyde, dibutyl phthalate, diethyl phthalate, toluene, styrene, ethyl benzene, naphthalene, benzaldehyde, didecyl phthalate, and acetone.
- Cheap (about 9 times cheaper than natural beeswax)
- By-product of fossil fuels
- Harmful chemicals are used in the cleaning process
- The equivalent of inhaling exhaust fumes
- Creates a large amount of black sticky soot
- Polymers are added to raise the melting point and improve burning qualities
- Often scented with artificial fragrance
- Bleached or dyed with toxic colorants
Do you have any experiences with Paraffin you'd like to share? Please post your comments below.
Leave a comment