Besides being exceptionally beautiful there are so many reasons for you to burn beeswax candles. I am really happy to include a number of health benefits in this list! Here goes:
- When properly maintained beeswax candles burn cleanly with no sticky, black petroleum based soot
- Naturally long burning without additives
- Are virtually dripless in a draft free environment
- Have a warm glow often compared to sunlight to create ambiance
- Do not go rancid like soy wax candles may
- Helps us to unwind, some say burning a pure beeswax candle before bed helps to achieve a more restful sleep
This holiday season we want you to relax and delight in your beeswax candles. Feel safe in knowing that besides being lovely and decorative in your home they are benefiting you in ways you might not have realized. Be sure to breathe deeply and notice how clean and fresh the air is in your home after they have been burning for an hour or so. This is especially important at a time when doors or windows are kept shut most of the time to conserve heat. Best of all you are not breathing toxic fumes emitted by paraffin candles!
Beeswax is the most natural of candle waxes. Nothing is done to it except a simple filtering process to ready it to make candles. Most other ‘natural’ candle waxes need additives or hydrogenation before they can be made into functioning candles. They also have environmental consequences. This is true of both soy wax and palm wax candles.
Another good reason to burn beeswax candles – at a time when we need healthy honey bees, using beeswax supports hard working beekeepers. Without the honey bees to pollinate food crops and the beekeepers to care for them our food supply is in trouble!
Go on – do it. When you are buying beeswax candles as gifts for others treat yourself to an affordable eco-friendly luxury. You know you deserve it! This is the fastest way to the store!
Never leave burning candles unattended! No candle is free of maintenance. More about candle care.
Photos by Marlie Marchewka
Leave a comment